Expo 67: Centennial Party

When I arrived in Montréal in 1965 – age 4 – the city was in the throes of preparation for a big party. I know this because my parents took us to a high point on the bank of the St. Lawrence River to see the mid-river construction site. I clearly recall the distant panorama of mud-coloured islands crawling with equipment.

Copyright: Bibliothèque et Archives Canada
Credit: Graetz Brothers / Bibliothèque et Archives Canada / PA

There was more. When the metro system opened, my family and I all went to one of the underground stations to watch the sleek blue-and-white trains go swooshing in and out. Then we rode the trains, just because they were brand new and fun.

The sight of the Queen sailing down the Seaway Canal on the Royal Yacht Britannia is also firmly embedded in my brain, because that lady waving from the deck was definitely not wearing a crown.

Party On!

On April 29, two days after the grand opening, my family went to Expo 67. I remember nothing of the visit, but based on my mom’s account, written soon after the event, here’s what it was like:

Packed into our Volkswagen bus that day were my parents, my 9-year-old brother Murray, my 7-year-old sister Kathleen, me (age 5), and my 3-year-old sister Mary. Setting out from our South Shore suburb, we soon arrived in Montréal – which wasn’t quite what my parents intended; they’d taken the wrong bridge. But there were plenty of signs sending us the right way, and lots of frantically waving officials telling us we’d gone the wrong way.

At last we arrived, and by pre-arrangement Mom dropped Dad, Murray, Mary, and me off at the Expo site. We headed cheerfully in and were immediately stopped by a nice lady with a TV crew who wanted to interview us.

Meanwhile, Mom and Kathleen brought the car back to the South Shore and hopped onto the metro. (A $2.00 Expo-site parking fee was too expensive, as was a family-sized metro fee.) But when they got off the metro at the Expo site, they discovered they’d left Kathleen’s Expo pass with Dad. So Mom left Kathleen sitting by a fountain and hastened in to the Mexico pavilion where Mom and Dad had agreed to meet.

…or at least that’s what Mom thought they’d agreed. Dad thought they’d planned to meet at the metro station. Needless to say, Mom did not find us at the Mexico pavilion and she hastened back to Kathleen. I don’t know how this kind of thing got sorted in the days before cell phones, but I guess Mom figured things out. I spotted her and Kathleen arriving at the metro station, and Mom reports that my “there they are” was the best sound she heard that day.

So, we finally and happily set out together to see Expo 67… along with 400,000 other people. Despite Murray’s and Kathleen’s insistent opinions about what we should see, our options were few. Mom reports: “…line-ups if longer in duration than about 30 seconds tend to send our youngest two over the edge” and so we ended up at the steel pavilion, which was nicely deserted; there, we enjoyed the sounds and smells and darkness of a steel mill…moving through the pavilion at the rate of interest of the “youngest two”.

By then it was lunchtime. We managed to finish our picnic on a nice little grassy knoll before my parents spotted a security guard chasing other picnickers off other little grassy knolls. My family typically has that kind of luck.

By then, Mary and I were starting to whine. If $2.00 was too much money to pay for parking, $3.00 was way too much money for a stroller rental. Nevertheless, we all strolled pleasantly past pavilions that featured faraway places, down along some canals, and through the soaring, unpainted steel girders of the Theme pavilion to the Expo Express…and on to the great amusement park sector: La Ronde.

I guess at La Ronde Mary and I stopped complaining. Never mind impressive giant pavilions packed with grand samples of human innovation…La Ronde had a train ride, a giant sand pit, and ice cream. Ice cream! This was a rare and exquisite treat, but the six cones set us back $1.50.

This time I was the one to ride the metro with Mom to pick up the Volkswagen and then go get the others, who had made their way over – by Expo Express – to Habitat 67 to wait for us.

The Royal Yacht Britannia in front of Habitat 67
Copyright: Library and Archives Canada
Credit: Library and Archives Canada

Dad took everyone exploring Habitat, and they would have made it to the Prime Minister’s apartment had there not been a security guard. I guess my family doesn’t have all the luck.

Party Over

Expo 67, of course, lasted all summer. Murray and Kathleen got to go back without their whiney little sisters and actually see some interesting things. A steady stream of grandparents, aunts and uncles, and family friends stayed with us throughout the summer. They brought children! It was a season of glorious playtime in the backyard. That part I remember.

The story goes that, late in August, my weary parents left the latest bunch of visitors in the house, packed me, my siblings, and camping equipment into the Volkswagen bus, and went to Grand Isle State Park in Vermont – an hour south. There, we discovered that all the other campers were from Quebec. I guess we weren’t the only Montrealers who’d had just a little too much party.

Montréal gave itself nine years to recover, and then had another party. But that’s a story for another time.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s